Monday, January 1, 2018

I don't do extreme sports because my life IS an extreme sport (aka obligatory 2017 reflections)


Perhaps the most significant and summarizing event to happen to me this entire year occurred just yesterday, on a long drive.
A Harvard scientist who is the director of a 75 year study that has studied 700 men over the course of their lives was giving a talk about what they found. There were two main groups-- Harvard students, a low-income men working in Boston all about the same age. They tested heart rates, body fat, income, happiness, etc. The result? Having positive relationships makes you happier, live longer and be healthier.

That dropped the mic for me.
I have spent all of my year giving to one relationship, and two little people by association. I have neglected my letter writing, my community, occasionally my job, and often myself. I think I did what I needed to do this year, while being honest and aware of what I was doing...but it's time to strive for balance. 2018 will be about strengthening relationships. My life depends on it, according to Harvard.

Well-- that was easy. Now let's look back-- What did 2017 do for me?
Let's see..

Put another 23,000 miles on my car, driving mostly to Detroit and back and Colorado and back. And once to Texas and back.

Found several dinosaur bones, poops, and fossils from the late Triassic.

Finally hiked to the Sandia Crest. 

Didn't make it to any new states but I finally visited Canada, so I've now visited 4 countries and lived in 1.

I don't think I finished a single damn book. Except Waiting for Godot, if that counts. 

I think I saw some movies but none were really memorable. 

I presented a workshop at two different conferences. 

We often wait for the big accomplishments to celebrate our achievements, but this year I worked on acknowledging the little things. In my busiest 228 days of work (March-October), I 
Learned 795 names
Forgot 760 names
Worked 76 Field Days with kiddos (and some adults)
Worked 36 office/admin days to organize all our tripsWorked 47 days at our Base CampWorked 37 days at the park or on some field project not on trekSpent 69 days/nights with my lover/partner.Had 34 days "off" to recuperate/relax/refresh.Visited Chaco Canyon 4 times (+ once in Winter '16)Organized outdoor experiences for 26 different schoolsCoordinated getting 1304 people to spend over 3000 days outdoors.Aided in awarding $18,000 of grant money to New Mexico schools for field trips.


I think the best way to summarize my year, however, is with PHOTOS. 

I got really sick traveling from Chicago to St Louis to Indianapolis and back to Chicago. But I went to this cute museum in Indy with a bunch of Southwest paintings. 

Flew to San Diego to meet my partner's parents and see his old stomping grounds

My lover made me my favorite food and it was perfect. 

I slept outside, a lot. 

Had an unexpected May snow, one of the times I was sleeping outside. 

Spent Memorial day battling crowds with foster kids. (White Sands)
Set up a lot of tents. 

Visited/Fell in love with Rio Grande Del Norte with 10 boys from Bernalillo.
Chased a lot of sunsets.
Spent two weeks making memories with these goofballs. 

Caught this one on Solstice.
Watched this cloud for 30 minutes.

Slept inside, for once, cause it was freezing.
Went hiking outside of work!

Took this new favorite photo of mine when my folks came to visit <3

But really-- live for these moments of sunny solitude, when I can reflect on all the love and fun I've been having...


In my beautiful backyard.
I know 2018 is going to have it's struggles and it's hilarity. But as long as it's shared with open-minded people, I know I can endure, and maybe even flourish through it. 







No comments:

Post a Comment